- Potions may be self-administered with a bonus action. Using your full action will automatically maximize the efficacy of the potion (i.e. max roll).
- Flanking. Flanking gives advantage to hit, unless the creature has exceptionally high Perception.
- Surprise attacks. Surprise gives advantage. Surprise requires an unseen attacker or unaware target.
- Back attacks.
- Big guy blind spots give +1. Attacking the rear of a monster whose size is larger than yours gives +1 to hit per size larger.
- Shields cover the front. Shields only add to AC when facing the threat.
- Meta-combat round. Each round of combat may have a one-minute player phase where meta strategy can be discussed. During combat, collaborating is encouraged via what can reasonably be articulated by a character, but lengthy discussion is discouraged.
Death, Injury, and Massive Damage
- Dying Status. Unconscious status is boring, so hitting 0 HP enters you into the dying condition unless otherwise stated.
- Roll death saving throws at the start of your turn like normal.
- Fall prone. You cannot use movement or any of your actions to stand up while dying.
- You may move while dying. Because you are prone, your movement is halved. You cannot jump or climb.
- You may use an action, bonus action, or reaction. However each action creates 2 levels of exhaustion. Bonus actions, reactions, and other special actions create 1 level of exhaustion.
- Massive Damage. Taking massive damage (>50% HP) may result in a CON save to see if something like a System Shock effect occurs. Taking massive damage that knocks you unconscious may result in something like a lingering injury.
- Feats are allowed. Feats are allowed in place of Ability Score Improvements.
- Multi-classing is allowed. Sounds good.
- Ready a backup character. Be ready to roll.
- Encumbrance & Carrying Capacity. Track normal Encumbrance, but we won't hyper focus on it. Be pragmatic.
- Money and Loot. Track your loot. Gold and silver currencies will be used (1gp = 10sp). Other valuable loot like gems may be assigned a currency value and immediately liquidated. Others might need to be actively sold.
- Quick rulings. Let's look it up later. We'll make quick rulings for most rule disputes. Make a note of the questions for later, so we can get a proper ruling for future cases.
- Rule of Cool. THE RULE OF COOL WINS!
Return to homepage.